Thursday, October 20, 2011

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real} - Sew Stylish!

round button chicken
"capturing the context
of contentment in
everyday life"

Watch out, world--domesticity has got ahold of me! When my friend Julie offered to share her skills and give my bumbling fingers a sewing lesson or two a few months ago, I was beyond excited...but quite skeptical of my abilities since I hadn't so much as touched a sewing machine since 6th grade Home Economics. Yet under the expert instruction of such an amazing seamstress, and with the help of her beautiful vintage sewing machine, I was able to not only have fun but create something cute and wearable! It was far easier than I'd anticipated (apparently I did develop a few fine motor skills in the past 15 years) and gave me great hope--and motivation--for the future! The best part? I'll get to test it out soon! (hint, hint...)


{Pretty}

Pretty in Purple
Julie told me to find a pattern I liked for my first project (me? pick a pattern? when I don't even know how to thread the machine???) and assured me that we'd get through it together. We then went to JoAnn's to choose the fabric and other essentials for my 'project.' Of course, after perusing the entire store, I ended up with...none other than my old staple: pretty purple. (Some things never change)! I also picked up some lovely ribbon to pretty it up even more.




{Happy} 

Front view of my oh-so-stylish hospital garb!
Facebook knows me so well! I was a bit intimidated searching for a pattern for my lessons until the fateful day Facebook flashed an ad proclaiming I could get a designer maternity hospital gown and give birth in style! After a few clicks, though, I discovered that said 'designer style' would set me back about $60-80, on average. (No thank you!). So after consulting Google and weaving my way through the ever-winding blogyrinth, I happily stumbled upon this FREE PATTERN from Lazy Girl Designs, which I found through This Blog! When all was said and done, with the help of some sales and cupons, I got all of the materials for under $20. Talk about a sweet deal!



{Funny}

Back view--snaps and ties and ribbons galore!
Funny how I always seem to strike big on beginner's luck! It only took me two lessons before we were able to finish the gown...with a few alterations adjusting it more to my liking, of course! It comes complete with ribbon ties and snaps in the back (instead of just ties), and we added snaps to the shoulder seams so they can open for easy nursing access. Julie's patient instructions, help, and watchful eye made it quite easy...and stoked my confidence enough to get more fabric for a second gown! Not that I plan on going into business right away or anything (but hey, I just might if you twist my arm enough...)



{Real} 

Ain't she a beauty?
Unbeknownst to me, as I (not-so) secretly salivated over sewing machines online, Julie's watchful eye was scouring antique shops and flee markets for the real thing--a vintage one like hers (you know, the kind that once upon a time was made to last?). Well, lucky for me, she found one! A real, live, Singer sewing machine circa 1952, which she generously presented to me last week so I can feed my new addiction! Oh the excitement...now all I have to do is decide what my first creation will be!

7 comments:

  1. What a great project! And what a wonderful friend :) Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!

    Have you considered making a nursing cover? I used mine all the time, although I went through etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job. It came out great.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Sewing can be so intimidating but the more I do it the more I realize how easy it is. I really like your vintage machine! I use a vintage Sewmor my grandmother learned to sew on and it works like a dream! It's amazing how the older machines are still just as useful as they were three generations ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your project! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, happy sewing to you! Julie is the best kind of friend to have. And your hospital gown is terrific!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete