"Well we're movin' on up to the east side...to a deluxe apartment in the sky..."
-Theme from the Jeffersons
Truth is, we're actually moving west and up...to the Mile High City. This is the official blog post to confirm the official decision that we've unofficially told most people about: next stop, Denver!In less than 60 days we'll be saying goodbye to Army life, packing up, and shipping out so that Peter can start his MBA program at the University of Denver (go Pioneers!). We've planned for awhile now to get out of the Army at the end of our five year commitment and start our 'grown up' life. I've always known hands down that I want to devote myself to caring for the kiddos, but Peter has vacillated for a bit between three options: going to school full-time for his Master's, going to work full-time, or both; working while attempting to do an executive (part-time) MBA program.
After much thought and prayer, we decided for a number of reasons that Peter should get his MBA first and if at all possible choose a full-time program where he'd get the benefit of a peer group and classroom experience in addition to the diploma. This will mean lots of loans and budgeting, but we're ready to embrace the poor and happy lifestyle for the next year and a half in order to have the best job options possible on the back end. We've been bound by contract for the past five years to our jobs; having multiple options is imperative to avoid being trapped in another unfulfilling job!So this past summer Peter began the arduous process of writing essays and filling out applications to five different MBA programs, and once the dust settled six months later, we were faced with three very different offers: Denver University (with some generous aid), Rochester University (also with a very cushy offer), and Dartmouth University (an Ivy League with one of the highest-rated MBA programs, and also one of the highest price tags). With no financial aid offer from Dartmouth, it came down to the big bucks, and Denver won out.
This is a good thing for us for many reasons. The program starts in March, so we don't have to wait around the whole summer to get to our new home and start our new life. It also runs through the summer and only lasts 18 months, so we'll have less debt to pay off when all is said and done (less being the key word). Peter's parents and brother are in Denver, so we'll be surrounded by an amazing support system, and the kids will have the time of their life being so close to Gran, Granddad, and the cousins. We know the area, love the community, and will have so many wonderful amenities at our fingertips--shops, kids' activities, the great outdoors--it's almost too good to be true. Added bonus: after a few weeks of struggling to breathe the thin air, I'll even be in tip-top shape!
But it's not all roses. I'm an East Coast girl at heart, and let me tell you, I'm not a fan of all that brown out west. I love vibrant spring and fall colors, living in close proximity to real bodies of water (have you seen the "rivers" they have out west?! You can step over them.) and not having to follow high-altitude baking instructions. I'm also quite partial to my family and I'm not loving the idea of being 1,617 miles from them (give or take a few feet).
![]() |
| Don't be deceived; those sprinkler systems that make the grass appear green cost a fortune. |
Wish us luck as we embrace it all--pros, cons, and the great unknown--in less than two months.
Denver, here we come!
"Furthermore, Abraham went forth, not knowing where he was going..."
-Hebrews 11:8
-Also my dear mother's words of wisdom


So much change, so much excitement! I went through the GMAT stuff last summer, but ultimately decided to put off my MBA until I got some business experience and figured out how to pay for it. I start my terminal leave and May and hope to be hired by then!
ReplyDeletePeter's decision is so unselfish and mature! You are lucky to have such a great little family, and you will have some fun Colorado adventures I am sure. Hopefully having relatives nearby will also let you and Peter enjoy some romantic Denver dates! :)
Peter is putting most men to shame ;o)
ReplyDeleteI’m so excited for you guys and the little ones. I plan on visiting Denver a couple times (I have family there) and would love to meet up with you guys, finally meet the kids, and help in any way I can!! So please, send out the address when you guys are settled in!
So excited for you guys to start this next adventure!!
wish we were going to be in CO and living close :( But I'm excited for what's in store for you guys. I think you'll love it out there. congrats to Peter on his accomplishments!
ReplyDeleteGood for you guys! Congrats again and again--and I won't think you'll be TOO disappointed by Denver. Hubs and I went there on our honeymoon and it IS gorgeous (it's on our list of places we wouldn't mind ending up at either).
ReplyDeleteHas your husband read 40 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller? Mine swears by it and it might make the post grad school transition/job decision easier.
God bless--and here's to mile-high hopes!
How exciting!!!! Congrats to you guys!! Looking forward to hearing about your Big West adventures! : )
ReplyDelete