Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Last But Not Least...

It's that time again.

You, little one, are a whole year older; I'm a whole year more bewildered, wondering where the days went. No matter. 365 days later and here we are. And since I poured my heart out for two other birthdays this year, it's only fair that I do the same on yours, don't you think?

You are a happy little light in our lives, my son, and you always have been. Before your little heart started beating inside of me, the doctors warned me that a future with more children was highly uncertain for us. Some of the scary things they told me came true. So when we found out about your little heartbeat and we saw you wriggling around safely and happily in my tummy, growing big and strong, you became our happy little miracle of hope. Of course, we can't forget to thank our buddy Saint Jude, ("Saint of the Impossible") for praying for you and us along with all of our other friends, and convincing the Author of Life that his feast day would also be a great day for you to be due...and born. Some miracles aren't so impossble after all, are they?

You remain [almost always] the sweetest, happiest, most guenuine, talkative and ham-tastic little boy there ever was.  You see the world in all positives. When I asked you what you wanted for your birthday this year, you said "I'll be happy with my presents, whatever someone buys me!" When you get excited about something, you say "yahooo!" in the cutest and funniest little voice. Your gleeful energy amazes me. You are the most annoyingly enthusiastic early morning person I've ever met (which I still think is a rather unfair distribution...if you could just donate a fraction of your morning spunk to the rest of us, our mornings would go off much better). Tonight Daddy and I wondered what it would be like to spend even half a day being as positive and happy as you. Daddy wasn't so sure the people at his work would go for it, but I think it would make the world a much better place. You do everything full force--sleeping, playing, laughing, making minion noises--often it's highly entertaining. And it's a pleasure to see how you're interacting with your siblings as you grow. You snuggle on the couch and read with your sister and crazily crash around the house with your brother. There's still fighting, but there's also lot more contented playing than there used to be. (Knocking on wood that it continues).




Once upon a time we jokingly started calling you "The Commentator" and the name certainly suits you more and more with the passage of time. You like to narrate everything down to your every movement and thought. You fill everyone in on everything, whether you're gracing family, friends, or that random parent on the sidewalk with your words--you know, that one mom who was desperately trying to get her kid into the school as we were leaving, but you thought it would be nice to excitely hold your new craft in front of their faces and explain in painstaking detail each step it took to create your masterpiece? I often have to tell such very polite people that it's okay to just keep walking because you will just keep happily talking, whether or not they're still there.

You (like your Uncle Q) love food. You are forever talking about food, asking if it's time for food, begging for more food, whining that you're hungry, and of course eating it non stop. Thankfully, it's not gone to waste--you, little man, clearly have the tall genes of the family. When we measured you tonight, you were taller at age 4 than big brother was last year at age 5. It's no wonder people ask if you two are twins!


You love Mommy and me time, even though sometimes it turns into Mommy works while you watch TV time. (Or maybe that's part of why you love it so much!) Thankfully, we do occasionally get to do some fun things for just two of us, you and I. You're still a mama's boy through and through. You crawl into my lap every night night during bedtime prayers to snuggle, and you've made a habit of ambling up to me at random points throughout the day with a little grin on your face and prolaiming, "kiss!?" as you grab my face firmly between your squishy little hands and plant a fat one (or ten) on my cheek.






Yes, as we've established, your sweet and happy moments abound. Except when they don't. Because you just won't. Like you can't even. For example, this morning when I mentioned that you had one last thank-you note to complete for all the very nice presents that you were so thankful for, and you collapsed on the floor in agony and cried all the way to school and into your classroom because it was your party and you could cry if you wanted to. It's clear that you're still the baby of the family and you don't like to hear the word "no." Boy does that baby blood still run thick through your veins. If I dare you to do something you are not predisposed to happily and enthusiastically agreeing to, you can tantrum it out like there's no tomorow.

Draw a picture? For a thank you note?
You don't even know my life.

Thankfully, since you are so predisposed to being happy and agreeable a fair amount of the the time, the whining and crying are manageable enough. Especially when we tell you not to laugh and so desperately hang on to your frown until you eventually laugh-cry your way back into happiness. After all, that's still what you do best. If you don't believe me, just go back and count the amount of times I ended up using some form of "happy" in this little note to you. I hope that's always as big a part of your soul as it is at age four!

Happy birthday, my little miracle man with a big personality. We're so thankful God made you and we love you to pieces!




 --               --               --

An interview with Ethan, age 4

Favorite color: Rainbow colors.
Favorite food: Bananas, just like minions!
Favorite drink: Smoothies.
Favorite song: Pepperoni in the Fire (lyrics and music by Ethan) and Born in the USA (no joke. always his first request during dance parties).
Favorite animal: A bear and my favorite color of bear is red. Oh and brown!
Favorite clothes: All of my clothes.
Favorite outdoor activity: Playing police and Army!
Favorite game: My Star Wars (Trouble!) game I got at my party. [and didn't write an thank-you note for yet].
Favorite Sport: SOCCAH! (aka soccer).
Favorite Hobby: Help water the plants.
FavoriteTV show: Paw Patrol.
Favorite Movie: Despicable Me.
Favorite family activities: Playing fishies! [Not something the rest of us ever recall doing together, but okay].
Favorite place to go on vacation: MOUNTAINNNNNNSSS!
What do you want to be when you grow up? Nuffing. (confirmed after asking a second time).
What are you looking forward to most about being 4? I get to go on big kid stuff. ("Like what?") Like stuff. And...well, Mommy, I have fun at school when I'm four too!

1 comment:

  1. "nuffing" ha - too bad, buddy cause you are already "sumthin'!"

    ReplyDelete