So way back when, I posted about our newest family photo shoot which happened during a lovely vacation with my family to Cape May, NJ, and I promised I would write about it soon. And then there was a time warp and I was suddenly filling my planner with school schedule stuff because summer was all but over. [Seriously, everyone I have talked to has experienced the same Phenomenon of the Disappearing Summer this year, so I know I'm not the only one being targeted in this conspiracy].
At any rate, here's the post about the wonderful trip we'll pretend I just took, where I tried reallly reallllllllllly hard to choose only a few or ten photos from each adventure instead of dumping all 2,393 of them. The result is a peek at approximately 2% of our wonderful week!
Before I launch into everything else though, can I just show you how quaint this little Victorian seaside town is? It's at the southernmost tip of New Jersey, hence the significant deviation in appearance from the rest of the Jersey Shore.
In fact, if it weren't for these maddening signs everywhere, might've even forgotten that we were in the state at all! (I must say that as a lifelong leftie, I'm personally offended by New Jersey's vendetta against anyone ever making a left turn).
| Don't worry, I wasn't driving! |
We stayed in the same beach house we've gone to since we were young, and had some fun reliving the old memories as we read through all of our entries in the guest book from years past (like my last few weeks of freedom before leaving for West Point, sniff). The beach house is only a block from the beach, with some lovely views of the ocean and the sunset from the top deck. Also great access to basking in the sun on the roof (only for children 17+ years old).
We wasted no time in hitting the beach...
The kids and boys (and occasionally Aunt Chica) put in the hard work of digging and building and playing in the sand and the nice cold waves:
...while the remainder of the crew had no qualms about relaxing.
Oh, and Peter and I also did another little cartwheel contest a la our trip last year to San Diego...
We went mini golfing one afternoon (I strategically chose the group sans varsity golf player and golf coach) and spent another fun afternoon at the zoo.
There's a Coast Guard Station on the bay just a few minutes from the house, so we made sure to take full advantage of the super low kayak and paddleboard rentals:
(Although nearby bathrooms weren't plentiful for potty-training toddlers).
There were lobster dinners out and dinners in...
And the best part: lots of happy bonding time for the kiddos with their beloved Grandma and Yabba...
...and of course their favorite Aunt Chica and Uncle Q.
Peter and I even got a little bonding time in too with some walks along the beach and a date night out.
The day we left, we had some extra time so we stopped by Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell (which Marie loved since she studied American Symbols last year in first grade). We also made an obligatory stop to Pat's Cheese Steaks; in all the years of my parents living on the outskirts of Philly, apparently my dad had never experienced either a Pat's or Gino's Cheese Steak. (They're two famous Cheese Steak stands right across from each other and the rivalry as to which is better goes wayyyyyyyy back).
The whole trip definitely filled that longing that's always there to spend more time with my family, and the week in Cape May absolutely satisfied my beach fix (though yes, I wouldn't mind a return trip right about now). It was so special to share my love of the beach with the kids and make more memories with the people I love most--I hope we'll get to do it again some day!
![]() |
| Fun at the house...including games of snort, sunset parties, and early mornings on the deck (or inside for the non-early birds). |
We wasted no time in hitting the beach...
The kids and boys (and occasionally Aunt Chica) put in the hard work of digging and building and playing in the sand and the nice cold waves:
Digging for sand crabs!
...while the remainder of the crew had no qualms about relaxing.
Oh, and Peter and I also did another little cartwheel contest a la our trip last year to San Diego...
At least a high zero, don't you think?
Sadly I fear I'm trending toward the zeros too,
my shoulders aren't what they used to be!
We went mini golfing one afternoon (I strategically chose the group sans varsity golf player and golf coach) and spent another fun afternoon at the zoo.
There's a Coast Guard Station on the bay just a few minutes from the house, so we made sure to take full advantage of the super low kayak and paddleboard rentals:
(Although nearby bathrooms weren't plentiful for potty-training toddlers).
There were lobster dinners out and dinners in...
![]() |
| You can dress us up... |
| ...but sometimes it's best not to take us out. |
And the best part: lots of happy bonding time for the kiddos with their beloved Grandma and Yabba...
...and of course their favorite Aunt Chica and Uncle Q.
Peter and I even got a little bonding time in too with some walks along the beach and a date night out.
The day we left, we had some extra time so we stopped by Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell (which Marie loved since she studied American Symbols last year in first grade). We also made an obligatory stop to Pat's Cheese Steaks; in all the years of my parents living on the outskirts of Philly, apparently my dad had never experienced either a Pat's or Gino's Cheese Steak. (They're two famous Cheese Steak stands right across from each other and the rivalry as to which is better goes wayyyyyyyy back).
| I love this picture beyond words. |
The whole trip definitely filled that longing that's always there to spend more time with my family, and the week in Cape May absolutely satisfied my beach fix (though yes, I wouldn't mind a return trip right about now). It was so special to share my love of the beach with the kids and make more memories with the people I love most--I hope we'll get to do it again some day!












Looks like such a fantastic trip!!
ReplyDelete