Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sandy Yay Go




Last weekend, we embarked on our reward getaway following Peter's two long years of grad school. (If you missed the back story, you can read all about Peter surprising me here!). The trip was only two days, but it seemed much longer with everything we did and all the relaxing we accomplished!

It was my first time in California and the farthest west I've ever been, so I was happy to add that to my little map (clearly I need to work on my western states and my non-western-European countries).



It also was the first kid-less trip we've taken in almost six years--when I was 9 months pregnant with Marie as we drove/flew around the country going to two different weddings and visiting family...it wasn't exactly a relaxing getaway. So technically our last real vacation without a kid (in-utero or extra-utero) was our honeymoon. We were more than ready for a little break!


The kid-less part was made possible by my fabulous in-laws, who generously agreed to house and feed the children so we could lay on the beach. I was worried about them surviving not only a weekend but a school day as well with the kids, what with all the different drop-off times and locations and kiddo personality quirks and dietary needs. But my in-laws assured us that everything would be fine (and in fact, they managed like champs!), so we escaped before they could change their minds.


No kids dance!

My doting husband knows I love the beach, so he picked Coronado Beach as our destination. More specifically, we stayed on at the Naval Air Station, which occupies the north part of Coronado Island, and its beach adjoins to Coronado Beach but is about a bajillion times less crowded. Also, the Navy Lodging where we stayed was both a great deal and the nicest military lodging I've ever seen. The Navy definitely has it made--show me an Army Lodging king-bedroom suite for the same price with a full granite kitchenette, stone tile, and ocean views and I'll get back in. Just kidding. But still.

We packed alot into two days, but it didn't feel rushed or stressful. We did everything on our own terms, we stayed out all day without worrying about naptime, we talked without being interrupted, and we got in and out of the car numerous times a day without even thinking about buckling carseats or breaking up fights or singing the ABCs as a distraction. It was glorious. The weather was also absolutely perfect while we were there, which was a great bonus.

Our day one activities included a morning run jog shuffle on the beach, brunch at the Golf Club, and an afternoon lazing around on the beach (and being goofy).

Brunch, run, and hanging out at the beach






So happy we could do a cartwheel


With all the time I've spent on east coast beaches, I saw something that I'd never seen before: "sparkly" sand. Not sure what type of rock or mineral made up the little gold flecks in the sand, but everywhere I looked it was shimmering in the most beautiful way!

Shining sands
In the evening we had a schmancy sunset dinner at Island Prime with an incredible view of the skyline, and an evening strolling around Coronado Island, relaxing at a cafe and enjoying the nightlife.



Delectible dishes and views from Island Prime, followed by dessert at a coffee house on the island.

Who wore it best??

On day two (which was also St. Patty's day!) my dear husband cooked me breakfast while I lazed around on the couch before we enjoyed a morning walk on the beach. We spent the rest of the morning touring the "retired" aircraft carrier, the USS Midway, which was cool for alot of reasons--but the most special was the fact that my dad's dad (whom I never met because he died when my dad was in college) was a WWII fighter pilot in the Navy. He died on St. Patrick's Day, so being on my first aircraft carrier all these years later on St. Patrick's day and seeing the kind of life my grandfather lived as a WWII pilot was just a really neat connection.


It also made me thankful that I was in the Army instead of the Navy--the Navy might have fancy lodging on base to try and make up for its claustrophobic berths, but I still wouldn't want to call this space home for the better part of my days.

This tight space is "big" enough to
house our family of five and all of
our belongings--plus one extra.
NO THANK YOU.

After leaving the ship, we had lunch at a fun new taco bar called Puesto in downtown San Diego, and continued on to Point Loma, which wraps around San Diego and Coronado Island to the north, and provides some awesome unobstructed views of the city and the Pacific. While on Point Loma we visited Cabrillo National Monument, which marks the 1542 landing of the first European explorer, Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo from Portugal, who explored the coast of California.

On the flight deck, a statue modeled after the famous kissing sailor,
and lunch at Peusto followed by a stop at the gelataria.

Cabrillo National Monument

View from Cabrillo Natioal Monument of Coronado Island
where we stayed, with San Diego behind it across the bay.


After we visited the monument, we ventured down to the base of the point to check out the tide pools, then just sat together to take in the expansive views of the ocean crashing over the rocks before tearing ourselves away to head back to the airport. 


I did miss the kids and was happy to be reunited with them, of course, (though only Ethan was happy to see us upon our return!) but it was awesome to have a few days to reconnect with my best friend and get away from the stress of daily life together. It was the perfect trip from start to finish, and we both agree that it wold be a great place to bring the kids someday!


4 comments:

  1. Very nice! San Diego is beautiful and I'm glad you got a chance to reconnect while enjoying such a lovely place. That first pic, especially, is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a nice trip! And I can't get over that kitchen where you stayed! So glad you guys were able to get away for a bit. You both deserved to just relax, kid free, for a bit and I'm glad the weather was good. So many of our California trips (how was that your first one?!) have involved rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what's that cool digital map you use for places you've been?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice you were able to get away! Love San Diego :)

    ReplyDelete