Looking back at what the past two weeks have wrought, our crazy schedule went something like this:
![]() |
| Goodbye Army! |
March 1st: Movers gone, house empty. Camp out with suitcases. Pray that the stomach flu which graced our family at such an opportune time passes quickly and that I can finish out-processing at Fort Drum in time to actually leave...
March 2nd: Say goodbye to our amazing nanny on her last day (more on that in a future post). This was a toughie. Somehow we survived, but barely.
March 7th: Peter's parents arrive in New York for a few days so they can help me wrangle the kids on the flight to Colorado on the 9th.
March 8th: Out-processing finished, signed out of Fort Drum. Freedom has never tasted so sweet.
March 9th: Say goodbye to our house. Try (unsuccessfully) not to cry. Get on the plane with the kids and say goodbye to Peter, who is leaving the next day to drive the big car with our huge dog, Samson, and tow the small car. Kids and I arrive in Colorado and stay with Peter's parents (who now live 10 minutes away!).
March 10th: Peter begins his 3-day drive to Colorado, the kids and I see the house we have leased for the first time in person! Let the kids pick their rooms and jump up and down when I see our new master bedroom which actually fits all of our furniture. Also try to adjust from Eastern time to Mountain time. (Did I mention Daylight Savings Time too?)
March 12th: Peter arrives in Colorado!!! Camp out in our new home for the first time.
March 13th: Movers come...our new house isn't so empty anymore!
March 14th until infinity: Unpack. Oh so many boxes...
March 15th: Internet installed! Take a break from unpacking and commence blog therapy!
March 7th: Peter's parents arrive in New York for a few days so they can help me wrangle the kids on the flight to Colorado on the 9th.
March 8th: Out-processing finished, signed out of Fort Drum. Freedom has never tasted so sweet.
March 9th: Say goodbye to our house. Try (unsuccessfully) not to cry. Get on the plane with the kids and say goodbye to Peter, who is leaving the next day to drive the big car with our huge dog, Samson, and tow the small car. Kids and I arrive in Colorado and stay with Peter's parents (who now live 10 minutes away!).
March 10th: Peter begins his 3-day drive to Colorado, the kids and I see the house we have leased for the first time in person! Let the kids pick their rooms and jump up and down when I see our new master bedroom which actually fits all of our furniture. Also try to adjust from Eastern time to Mountain time. (Did I mention Daylight Savings Time too?)
March 12th: Peter arrives in Colorado!!! Camp out in our new home for the first time.
March 13th: Movers come...our new house isn't so empty anymore!
March 14th until infinity: Unpack. Oh so many boxes...
March 15th: Internet installed! Take a break from unpacking and commence blog therapy!
But in the midst of it all we we've been both surprised and humbled by the amazing outpouring of love and support from family and friends.
On the parting end, while still in New York, our wonderful neighbors who went to our church happened to see the moving truck and rushed over the next day with some banana bread and a parting gift. When they found out we were living in an empty house for a week, they brought us camping chairs, books for the kids, a vacuum, and at church on Sunday convinced us to come to their house for a home-cooked meal. They later brought some gift certificates for a local pizza parlor so we had yet another free meal before we left. Our nanny also contributed a mattress and blankets and made sure we had everything needed.
Then as I awoke to my last day in New York and our 'old' life, I was so grateful to receive the most amazing email from my mom. She must have known that I needed her in that moment, and told me she had to hold herself back from making a 12 hour round trip to New York simply to give me a hug goodbye. I'd like to share the rest of her message as well:
As Dad and I climbed into bed last night, we confessed feeling a bit nostalgic. Seeing you pictured with your honorable discharge certificate took us back to when you were seven years old. You sat in Michie Stadium staring down at the mule riders and cheerleaders. “I’m going to be a cadet,” you announced. Dad and I watched you reach that goal and so many others. We loved and supported you, so proud of you through them all. We wore a path to West Point and later to Black River and Ft. Drum to divide yours sorrows and celebrate your joys.
In the process this heart found a special place for Peter, embracing him as son, too. In him, God has given you a wonderful husband and father. So this morning, I also lie in bed praying for my dear Peter, asking God’s protection as he travels cross country with the cars and the dog.
Yes, my heart has many parts.
I pray for you and your family—my precious grandchildren boarding the plane with Peter’s parents who are graciously traveling with you. And despite my heart’s gallant pull to draw you close once more, I am excited for you and your new life! You are a wonderful mom full of heart.
And it’s no wonder my heart swells for you.
I love you. Always remember, my dear daughter, there is no place you can move that my heart will not follow.
![]() |
| Up in the air! |
As Dad and I climbed into bed last night, we confessed feeling a bit nostalgic. Seeing you pictured with your honorable discharge certificate took us back to when you were seven years old. You sat in Michie Stadium staring down at the mule riders and cheerleaders. “I’m going to be a cadet,” you announced. Dad and I watched you reach that goal and so many others. We loved and supported you, so proud of you through them all. We wore a path to West Point and later to Black River and Ft. Drum to divide yours sorrows and celebrate your joys.
In the process this heart found a special place for Peter, embracing him as son, too. In him, God has given you a wonderful husband and father. So this morning, I also lie in bed praying for my dear Peter, asking God’s protection as he travels cross country with the cars and the dog.
Yes, my heart has many parts.
I pray for you and your family—my precious grandchildren boarding the plane with Peter’s parents who are graciously traveling with you. And despite my heart’s gallant pull to draw you close once more, I am excited for you and your new life! You are a wonderful mom full of heart.
And it’s no wonder my heart swells for you.
I love you. Always remember, my dear daughter, there is no place you can move that my heart will not follow.
Her words, as they have so many times in the past, gave me the confidence to take that leap in the midst of my fear and trepidation, and wave goodbye for the last time with a lump in my throat but all the hope in the world for the future.
In transit, the kids and I had the blessing of my in-laws who were willing to spend their vacation time helping us travel, put us up in Colorado, and watch the kids when the movers came. And unprompted, some wonderful family friends along Peter's cross-country driving route offered to put him up for the night...enormous beastly dog and all!
Our days were filled with love and support on the receiving end as well. My dear friend asked for our new address before we moved, and I had mail waiting for me the first time I checked the mailbox--an incredibly thoughtful note from her accompanied a book that I have no doubt will touch my heart and soul. I can't wait to read it!
My best buddy also introduced us to some new friends via Facebook (hooray for social networks!) who had lived with her in Alaska and recently moved to Denver. This past Tuesday they descended upon our mess of unpacking with a delectable dinner of chicken enchiladas and chocolate cake that was to die for...as well as delightful new playmates for Marie and Erik! We ate outside at our one currently functional table, enjoying the beautiful Colorado weather and gorgeous mountain view from our back yard. We are so very grateful for new friends for both us and the kiddos!
And sprinkled throughout the past few weeks, I have received so many other simple notes and emails from other friends just checking in, sending encouragement, or extending offers to spend time together once we get settled. They understand that even the most welcome of changes can still be a roller coaster ride, and have been generous enough to help me keep my bearings through it all.
It is extremely humbling--and for me, a bit uncomfortable at times--to be on the receiving end of so much love and generosity, especially in instances when I can't directly repay someone for their kindness. I think my mother described the feeling best: it just makes my heart swell. And I think God has been demonstrating a valuable lesson to me through this transition: we can never be too gracious toward others. So even if I can't pay it all back, one of the most important things I can--and should--always do as I venture into this new chapter is find a way to pay it forward.
And sprinkled throughout the past few weeks, I have received so many other simple notes and emails from other friends just checking in, sending encouragement, or extending offers to spend time together once we get settled. They understand that even the most welcome of changes can still be a roller coaster ride, and have been generous enough to help me keep my bearings through it all.
![]() |
| Hello Colorado! |
And though saying thank you doesn't seem sufficient, it's all I've got right now...so thanks to all of you fabulously wonderful people who have supported us in one way or another during this transition!






This was so sweet. Your mom's words were so touching and how great of your in-laws to help with the travel! Your whole family seems just like you . . . .wonderful :)
ReplyDeleteSo many sweet people! In my opinion, the view of the mountains never does get old.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the big move!! Thanks for sharing your adventures and all the love you have received. And your mom's letter, so beautiful tears are streaming down my face. I am so happy for you and your family!!!
ReplyDelete