Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dearest De, How We'll Miss Thee...

We've been blessed to have some wonderful caretakers for our children these past few years, which is a very big deal. Because whether she admits it or not, I think every mother's biggest nightmare is knowing her child is with someone she doesn't completely trust, whether it's for a few hours, a few days, or possibly months at a time. It was hard enough to leave my kids for work every day even when they were with a trusted caretaker, and the few times I had to leave our wailing little girl in back up care at the daycare on post--in the company of strangers whom I didn't always trust--were by far some of the worst days I can remember. Nothing could assuage my guilt on those days. This is why I'm so thankful that we've had the benefit of some wonderful nannies who have cared for our children in our home, and for the past two years, that "second mom" to our kids has truly been second to none...


Lindsey, or "De" as the kiddos called her, breezed into our lives when we needed her most. I had a 15-month-old and a newborn, a deployed husband, and my maternity leave was up; I was at my wits' end trying to find childcare after our second nanny had put in her two weeks' notice, and almost at the end of my rope at work. I couldn't bear to leave my children with just anyone, but the Army didn't care...like it or not, I had to be in by 6am. I cannot describe the sense of relief I felt the second De began working. She brought with her the most wonderful warmth and love, as well as her beautiful daughter Maddie who happened to be the same age as Marie and the perfect playmate. For the past two years she has worked harder and been more reliable than anyone I have ever known (including me!), and we were so very blessed that she was willing to stick around through even when they added their son, Logan to the family...and later when we added another son to ours! Somehow, she made caring for five kids under the age of four all day seem like a piece of cake. We have all loved her dearly from the start, and there's no question that she and her family quickly became our family as well. There are simply no words to describe how wonderful she is and how much she means to us.

Last day together...

Which is why I've been dreading writing this post, but also why it's so important for me to share with everyone.While still in New York, as I was trying to prepare myself for our De's last day, it became clear that saying goodbye to her would be the hardest part of leaving. I thought attempting some cheesy poetry would help me shed fewer tears in the process. Not so. But the cheesy poetry still gave me some time to reflect on all the blessings we've experienced because of our De, and this little ditty in a very small way sums up the fact that our lives are undoubtedly better for having her in them.

So without further ado...



Dearest De, How We’ll Miss Thee 


It was a magical day two years ago 
When you walked into our lives 
No nannies to be found, I’d almost lost hope 
And didn't know if we’d manage to survive 

A special someone we could trust 
That’s all we were looking for 
But you opened your heart filled with motherly love, 
You were everything we’d prayed for and more 

And just as wonderful was the little angel 
You brought with you to make our little girl grin 
Though it took some time to learn how to share 
No doubt, they were soon best friends 

The work for you was never done, 
Tripping over kids, the dog, and toys 
From three…to four…to five kids in diapers 
And oh, the incessant noise! 

You rose before the crack of dawn 
And left again after dark 
But somehow found energy in between 
To still smile and take five kids to the park 

You gave them everything you could 
To include your expensive food 
You helped them learn their ABCs 
And tried to teach them not to be rude 

We’d come home to freshly-baked cookies, 
Clean dishes, and a clean house 
Shaking our heads and wondering 
How you did it day in and day out 

And let’s not forget the potty adventures 
The pleading, the bribes, and the tricks 
But at even the tiniest bit of success 
You were the first to do high kicks! 

Going to work every day was tough, 
Saying goodbye when I didn’t want to 
But if I couldn’t be the one there for them 
The one I would choose is you 

And when having to travel thousands of miles away 
From the treasures we love most, 
Our only consolation at night 
Was that De would hold them close 

Not only a second mom to our kids, 
You became the dearest of friends, too 
Listening as I poured out my heart and soul 
Seeing a part of me few others knew 

And now a new family will be blessed 
To have you as their De 
I hope they realize how lucky they are 
(and if not, they’ll have to answer to me!) 

(But never fear, when I’m home alone 
With my kids in a very short while, 
When I think that I’m in over my head, 
I’ve got you on speed dial!!!) 

We’ll miss you more than words express 
But you’ll never be too far 
For there’s Facebook and Pinterest following... 
And you’ll ALWAYS be in our hearts!




And a bit of the story in pictures:

MADDIE & MARIE - BESTIES!








 TOGETHER TIME!




Halloween 2010
Halloween 2011




 

Waiting to meet Ethan!

Marie Feeding Logan 
Sleepover at De's!
All together at the zoo!




THE INCREDIBLE SUPER DE!
Four Kids and one tiny lap - talent!
Mommy De bringing the kids to
the hospital
after baby Ethan was born... 
De, Marie, and the neighbor's
 infamous black cat!

Cheeeeese!

My fabulous friend

Adventures at the zoo!

WE LOVE YOU, DE!!!  

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful compliment to a beautiful woman inside and out. I can only imagine the depth of your gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a wonderful caregiver and friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to my niece! I've often also reveled in her amazingness!! We are all lucky to have her and she is also lucky to have you as her friend.

    ReplyDelete