Two minutes in, Marie abandoned her post at the dishwasher and sweetly requested to fold all the clothes instead (have at it, kid!) so she could watch, too.
The boys were sucked in as soon as demo started, and by the end of the episode, they were all asking if there was another episode on the DVR so they could 'do more chores and keep watching...pleeeease?!'
I told them no, but that it would air again the next Tuesday. Judging by the duration and volume of groans and moans, you would've thought I said five years, not six days.
And thus, a Fixer Upper fan club was born.
By the next Tuesday I had forgotten, but Marie certainly had not; she bolted out of the car after school exclaiming, "can we do chores and watch Fixer Upper now?!" Unfortunately I'd realized my fatal error a little too late and let her down as gently as possible; it wouldn't air till bedtime, so she'd have to wait for the recording the next day.
Rest assured, she and the boys would have traded their left arm before they let me forget again the next day. Laundry bins were retrieved, the new episode filled the room, bets were placed on which house would be chosen, and piles of laundry were folded. It was a magical evening.
One afternoon soon after, Marie asked, "Mommy, can we move to Texas?" Taken aback, I stifled a full body shudder of revulsion and responded, "I hope we never ever ever have to...but why?"
"So we can by a house where Chip and Joanna can come over and make it so amazing!"
I laughed and agreed that part would mayyyybe almost make it worth it, but only convinced her that it wouldn't be worth it after laying out how far we would have to travel from Texas to go skiing. That, she decided, she could never give up--even for one of Johanna's sliding barn doors.
![]() |
| HGTV: Not just for SAHMs anymore... |
But the Colorado kids remain obsessed with the show, and I can't say I'm an exception. I super love Joanna for being able to convince my kids alllllll the way from Waco to clean up our house and do their chores in return for some demo and decorating (even if it's just once a week). Also, aside from her impeccable design talent, she used to be a gymnast AND they have a Great Pyrenees mix so basically we're kindred spirits. Minus my lack of interior design prowess, that is. Regardless, I have (quite a number) of plans for our house, so I'm all about the kids getting bitten by the DIY/reno bug.
Of course I'd rather have Joanna throw some shiplap on it, but at least I know that with her as their role model, by the time we tackle our next project, my design-team-in-training will be more than ready!
Some Fixer Upper quotes:
Ethan: my guy is Chip! My guy breaks houses so he can fix them!
Marie: Aww look at the cat! I want as many animals as that to live at our house!
Erik: "Number three! Choose number three!!!"
"SMASH! Ahhahahahahaa!"
P.S. Chip and Joanna if you read this and need a break from Texas, Colorado has a LOT of beetle kill pine begging to be reclaimed...we'll kindly volunteer as your guinea pigs...

Lol. They play reruns all the time in marathons!! Maybe you should record them to use throughout the week for chores 😉
ReplyDeleteHa - this is parenting gold, my friend! Getting kids to do their chores so they can watch your show!? Love everything about it
ReplyDelete