Week 1: Anniversary, then a hasty goodbye on the way to my school (aka Army training, Round 2).
Week 2: school and sickness.
Week 3: school and homesickness.
Week 4: home and Thanksgiving. So much thanksgiving.
I will say that at least the month both started and ended with a lot of love and happiness, even if the rest of it pretty much went down the tube.
My first stint at school in September wasn't so bad, but for some (okay a lot of) reasons, my second and final round this month was a whole lotta rough. For starters, I arrived after some long delays to find that our "hotel" was not the same well-appointed, civilized establishment as last time; instead we were relegated to the should-be-condemned Roach Motel across post. Which necessitated a trip to Wal-mart [foreshadowing] for roach spray after a late night grocery run in the pouring rain.
I wasn't feeling great the next day when I woke up to go to class, but figured it was just traveling and jet lag. And maybe a little hangover from the roach spray. I felt increasingly blah as the day went on, but told myself that I was fine because in order to graduate we couldn't miss more than 4 hours of class. So obviously my top priority for both rounds of training was staying healthy. My body, frustratingly, did not listen, and I went to bed that night in not-so-hot condition.
Day 2, I woke up feeling horrendous, and of course found out that my kids had been sick so I knew I'd almost certainly picked up a virus from them. Immediately after passing our first test, my instructor convinced me to go to the clinic. Over the course of 4 snail-paced hours the doc did a blood test and gave me meds and said it was probably viral but it looked like I was over the worst of it. HA. Famous last words, Doc.
The reality? Day 3: Horribly sick, couldn't even get out of bed. (Thank you God for Veterans Day which we magically had off so this veteran didn't have to miss class and get sent home but instead could suffer in peace in bed at the roach motel.) Day 4: Still horribly sick, but I drug myself to class. (Seriously it has been literal years since I've been so sick). Day 5: Slightly less sick, finally able to eat for the first time all week. Somewhow passed another test. Day 6: a half day of class, then I rested away the remainder of my Saturday and Sunday.
Somewhere in there, between the beginning of the plane ride and the end of the sickness I also devoured a really good book...probably since I could devour nothing else. (Tangent: How is it that there's less than a month left until it's time for my annual 'What I read This Year' post? So many good books left to read!!!) I also watched a whole lot of Fixer Upper on HGTV. (Tangent #2: Joanna Gaines is my new celeb crush. Everything she is and does is amazing and if you read this Joanna could you please come to my house and make it amazing?). I also said countless and constant prayers for everyone I could think of to distract myself from my own misery...so I think I can count that as a positive for week one?
The second week passed in a blur of long days, late nights, and this fun thing called MDMP where we basically pretend to plan a mission with all the right steps like we will most certainly do in the real Army. Oh and ALSO. Lest I forget my foreshadowing: somewhere in the middle of week 2 I got a call from my trusty bank, saying that while I was sitting in class that day they had intercepted some not-so-trusty (and ridiculously lofty) charges on my card from a certain Wal-Mart which I had only ever frequented the very first night for the danged roach spray. So getting to cancel my card made traveling back extra fun.
But finally, finally we were free to walk across the stage in our extra fancy uniforms that required a whole second bag check for a mere 30 minutes of graduation glory. But I grabbed my civilian garb in record speed and soon I was jetting off into the beautiful Colorado
And you know what? When I collapsed back home in the middle of that blizzard, I was the most weary, rumpled, thankful, contented mess there ever was. I literally could not stop saying "I'M SO GLAD I'M HOME"... and Peter too. Because for every one of my woes in this long and drawn out woesome tale, he had an equally wearisome and exasperating woe to deal with back home.
Accordingly, I think we were in the best mindset possible approaching Thanksgiving this year. There was no rushing around, no worrying about what needed to be done or how things appeared (including the Halloween decorations that were still out when I got home); only settling in and appreciating the life we're so lucky to normally have. I snuggled the kids and my husband, and thoroughly reveled in the fact that we hardly had anything to prep for Thanksgiving except pie since my wonderful in-laws hosted again.
As such, the rest of this post will be devoted to such memories of gratitude of Week 4, as a little reminder to myself that ultimately this month wasn't a loss, and it still ended as well as it started for just as many good reasons as there were woes. [But I'm still glad to see it in hindsight].
Now bring on the Advent season! Please!









Mercy, that sounds horrible, but I'm glad it's done! What was the good book you devoured?
ReplyDelete