
This past weekend we returned to our little abode on the shores of the Hudson to witness the beautiful wedding of Peter's old roommate. From the time the plane landed until it took off again we spent less than 48 hours on the ground, but our whirlwind trip was the longest we've been back at West Point since we graduated five years ago. Needless to say, it brought back a lot of memories. But not just of our time at school; I was constantly reminded of my childhood, too, since I spent four happy years growing up at West Point when I was in elementary school. For all the days I spent at there playing as a carefree first grader or wishing I could graduate and be gone from the place already as an overwhelmed cadet, I was so thankful for the two days we got during this return trip to relive the memories from different decades that kept popping into my head and overlapping!
 |
Isn't she the cutest
mama ever?! |
The best part was probably getting to see our dear friends (and fellow West Point grads), Tera and Tyson. Tera was my saving grace when we were in the same unit at Fort Drum, and despite the miles that separate us, she continues to keep me sane from week to week. So getting to see her in person is always a long overdue treat! They're both quite the inspiration--Tyson was injured in Afghanistan last year, after a facing a complete 180 in their life course and devoting the last year to his recovery, they finally got to leave Walter Reed/Bethesda last month to accept jobs at West Point. They offered to put us up for the weekend even though they
just moved, and even watched lil' Ethan man during the wedding (the big kids stayed in Denver with Gran and Granddad). We were also glad to provide them with an opportunity to practice baby care before their little darling arrives, since they're currently expecting their first--a little girl due to arrive in July (I got to feel her kicking!). It went by too fast as always, but it was so awesome to see them again!
 |
588A Connor Rd.
...we had some good times, didn't we? |
It just so happens that Tera and Tyson now live on the same road that I grew up on at West Point. Although the houses have been renovated a bit, for the most part everything else still looks the same. We drove past my old house, and it seemed like just yesterday that I was walking home from school up the big hill, running to one of the playgrounds near the house, or having water balloon wars with friends on humid summer days.
 |
Saying hello again to the
Meeses and 32A Thayer Rd.! |
We also got to see our wonderful family friends and former next door neighbors from Connor Road, the Meeses. They returned to West Point before I arrived as a cadet, and by chance came to occupy another house where I spent many happy moments...the former home of my best friend from elementary school. After the Meeses moved in, I stayed there the night before my first day at West Point ("R-day") and again the night prior to our wedding. Last Saturday we returned once more to that house where I spent so much time making memories so we could have a quick lunch and catch up with our wonderful friends. It was great to be back.
 |
Catching up
with Bro 'Los! |
We also got to spend some of the afternoon with our friends the Glens, a fabulous family who we got to know through the Catholic community when I was growing up at West Point, and who I reconnected with via the Catholic youth group when I returned as a cadet. And on Sunday we met up with Brother Carlos, a Franciscan Friar who we got to know in the same fashion as the Glens. He's one of the greatest friends to cadets out there--I think he knows and stays connected with more West Pointers than anyone I've ever met! It just warmed my heart to get to spend time with all of them.
 |
| Roomies |

And of course, it was wonderful to see old friends at the wedding and be back in the chapel where I spent every Sunday as a child and as a cadet, where I grew in my faith, and where I married my best friend. We saw two of Peter's other roommates from school and had so much fun just catching up...which of course included a brief trip to Hacienda for some authentic East Coast Mexican food and their famous margaritas!
 |
Apparently we all got the memo to wear purple!
|
 |
| My old room... |
We squeezed in some quick visits to most of the other places we wanted to see or experience as well: I saw my old cadet room, we ate in Grant hall, and we saw the new library (if only the outside since it was locked). We also made a more somber visit to some friends who have been laid to rest at our old home. It's never an easy trip, but by far some of the most important moments we spent during the weekend.
 |
Too many friends here.
Miss you guys. |
Finally, on the way out of town we made a quick detour to 'our' little trail across the river from West Point, which starts at the Garrison train station and where we spent a good amount of our free time as cadets. The trail ends at the bank of the Hudson, with a perfect view of West Point on the other side. After we were engaged and just before graduation, we carved a heart into one of the trees on the trail. Almost five years to the day we got to return to see the mark we left on that poor tree, and take in the beauty of how much our love has grown since then!
 |
| May 2007 |
 |
| May 2012 |
It was such a crazy two days, but so worth it. And while seeing some of the current cadets made us feel old and brought back some of the pain we went through, I also loved getting to experience the bizarre collision of my childhood and young adulthood all at once. I'm already looking forward to a return trip, hopefully soon!
How awesome is that tree!? Love that.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a nice time. When we went back in April, I really realized how nice it would be to go back if Miles' ends up teaching there.
And glad you saw Tera and Tyson too!
Sounds like a great trip. Thrilled that prayers were answered and Tera and Tyson are at the Point.
ReplyDelete