Thursday, November 24, 2011

With a Grateful Heart...


Thanksgiving has long been one of my favorite holidays because of what it entails—sharing a meal with family and taking time to really reflect on our blessings and give thanks. But over the years it’s been redefined in many ways—think football, gross overindulgence and sales galore.

It seems the further we get from the origins of some holidays, the more important it is get back to the basics. Americans should know that the foundations of Thanksgiving are rooted in gratitude that stemmed from the greatest of trials; the gratitude of those struggling to survive harsh elements while being plagued by starvation and disease, trying escape from religious persecution, and attempting to make a settlement flourish in the midst of complete isolation from civilization. It’s clear that the prominent issues in our nation that make news today—like a weak economy or the latest salacious gossip concerning some politician—are small beans compared to the mountainous struggles the first settlers were facing when they stopped to give thanks.

Ironically, though we have so much to be thankful for comparatively, most genuine expressions of thankfulness on this day appear to be short-lived. Many pay lip service to their blessings one moment but will rush to be to be first in line by midnight for Black Friday sales. To the casual observer, it’s clear that the true mark which defines our country is excessive consumerism, not true gratitude.

If we cared enough to ask the casual observer, we might see that we are beyond privileged to be Americans living in freedom and prosperity that many in this world could never even imagine. Even as I sit in the warm comfort of my home, surrounded by my loving family while watching the Macy’s Day parade and smelling the tantalizing aroma of roast turkey, I realize I’m blessed with more than most. I am basking in virtual luxury, but in our country and beyond the following truths hold fast:

Thousands of soldiers—many who are dear friends—are away from family today for the first, second… maybe tenth time so we can remain safe, and many others are missing the holiday due to some other necessary work or duty. Countless families are grieving the memory of a loved one who they will not have the opportunity to celebrate with today or any other holidays. Scores of people—in our country and others—will go hungry today, and many will spend tonight in the cold. And throughout the world, many more will make sacrifices—possibly even give their lives—to gain the liberty and justice we take for granted and express beliefs that we freely proclaim here in America.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that we should deprive ourselves of blessings that we enjoy on a daily basis, but we should reflect on them more than once a year and seriously work on putting our prosperity into perspective. It’s okay to have our second (or third) helping of turkey, cheer on our favorite team, and try to score the best deal on a sweet sale. But we should remember that in doing such things, we’re privileged beyond measure, and at the very least we can express genuine thanks to God for such blessings. And with even a little motivation, we can realize the potential to make a difference in some other way—through prayer, financial support, or direct action—for those who have less or who’ve sacrificed so much more than us.

So in an effort to reverse the trend of disingenuous thanks that tends to plague our country, I’ll try to do my best to remember today and every day how richly we are blessed. I am incredibly thankful for so many things—a home, jobs that support us, my health and above all our beautiful family—and I pray that I will never take such things for granted. As we celebrate another year of innumerable blessings, I only hope that my gratitude is sufficient and I remember others’ struggles and sacrifice as I should. 
Who’s with me?


My Greatest Blessings:





(Yes, he got a bit of a haircut!)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1 comment: