Sunday, August 7, 2011

3rd Trimester!

It’s finally here! Third trimester feels like such a milestone, but I also feel like time is flying all of a sudden. It seems like yesterday that we were holding our breath through the first few weeks of screenings and ultrasounds, praying that this baby would make it into our arms, starting to feel a bit of hope as we watched his little heartbeat get stronger each time. So I’m amazed as I realize that our little Ethan has now been thriving for a good seven months! Though we still have a few critical bends in the road ahead of us, there’s so much to be thankful for already! This guy is definitely the most active of our kids so far, and I love when I feel him rolling or kicking or punching (though yes, it gets exasperating at times). He’s even developed a bit of a personality, and has no problem letting me know with a good jab to the ribs that he’s hungry when I’ve strayed even ten minutes from our meal time.


...and Ethan is his name-o!
(not that it's been a big secret or anything,
we just hadn't gotten around to officially
announcing it to everyone...)


As excited as I am that we’ve made it to 3rd trimester, I was still overwhelmed when the nurse handed me the hospital registration packet at my last appointment—implying that I have much less time than I've allowed to get stuff done before Mr. Ethan makes his appearance! I have gone through all the old bins of baby clothes (which still probably take up more of the garage than necessary), tossed the newborn stuff in the dresser reserved for Ethan, and done my fair share of nesting. But I’m fairly certain that no matter how many times I clean the bathroom or re-organize the medicine cabinet, my closet, or the kitchen pantry, it still won’t get us any closer to where we need to be on the Big Day. So even though it makes my heart rate go up a bit, I admit that Peter is right in saying that we should probably dig out the infant car seat from storage to put in the car...and pack the “go” bag (just in case…but still!) and maybe put a pack or two of newborn diapers on the grocery list one of these days. Along with the thousands of other things my brain begins to agonize about when it starts down that road... (like I should probably get some new pacifiers…and another bouncy seat or swing since the kids destroyed the first one…hey! maybe I should wash those newborn clothes that were in storage for two years! Should I get another pump?…oh yeah and those baby bottles, I know I saw them somewhere. Maybe in the kids’ closet with the car seat fleece…gonna need that right away, it’ll be winter…hmm, maybe I should make a to-do list!) 

28 weeks!

But regardless of how quickly it all sneaks up on me, I need to remind myself foremost how blessed we are to be exactly where we are at this moment, enjoying a new uber-fidgety bundle of life who is God’s answer to our prayers. As for what’s in store, we’ll get to the to-do list soon enough! (thank goodness Peter is so good at packing!)

2 comments:

  1. Love the name and cute pic! Hard to believe you are already in the third trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great name & your belly looks fantastic! Ethan Michael is my nephew's name - whose water birth I was honored to have witnessed.

    ReplyDelete