I know very few people who actually like cleaning. Years after leaving home I can still hear my mother’s words: “Don’t put it down, put it away!” Granted, it’s a great feeling when things are clean and organized…but the work it takes to get there is pretty far down on my list of fun things to do. So naturally I was overwhelmed last night as we attempted to get all of our Christmas stuff put away, surrounded by piles of decorations, memory boxes, toys, laundry. The sheer volume of it all was so daunting that I was tempted to just walk away for a few more days in favor of something easier. But as we picked up one item at a time and dealt with it, the room became not only cleaner and more pleasant to be in, but I felt my internal load lighten as well. Once we actually started (with much credit going to my wonderful husband for keeping us on track), it was easy. I realized it’s the initiative piece of the puzzle that I’m missing…the act of will to just make myself to start the task that I need to work on—one item at a time—in order to move forward. As I pondered this last night, the good Lord ever so gently elbowed me in the ribs and said “let’s do some house cleaning in that spiritual junkyard of yours, too, huh?!” And with all my bemoaning aside, I admit that it’s time. I've discouraged myself into a stalemate for far too long, overwhelmed with all the things about myself that I need to change or make better, spiritually, emotionally, physically. So, here I go, one item at a time. No walking away, no picking up an item and putting it down unless I've fully addressed it and put it away where it goes. First up: accepting the joy in life.
“...time to breathe in and let everything out…” –Sanctus Real
P.S. I’ve given up on 100 words. For now.
No comments:
Post a Comment