This year I spent my 31st birthday in a(n entirely predictable) way I didn't originally predict: in uniform across the country from my family, courtesy of Uncle Sam.
Taking a physical fitness test followed by sitting in a classroom for a 12-hour day wasn't exactly on the top of my birthday wish list, but my wonderful family spoiled me in other ways before I had to leave...
Brian Regan
We've been a fan of the comedian Brian Regan for a long time, and when Peter found out he was coming to Red Rocks to do a show over Labor Day, tickets appeared along with an early birthday date night at The Fort. I'm kind of shocked that I hadn't heard about this shmancy/fun restaurant after living here for 3 years--and i think it is definitely one of the better kept secrets of our little area. It's an old adobe fort-turned-home-turned-restaurant with a real knack for buffalo steaks and some fun characters running around in Native American and Old West outfits. Also an old saloon-type bar and a teepee and a some stocks in case a customer gets out of hand. It was fun and delicious!
I'm either a lout or an unlicensed printer. Likely both.
Brian Regan himself was entertaining as ever, and my smile/laugh muscles were pretty sore by the end of the night. We also really enjoyed the comedian who opened for him, Joe Zimmerman, and because of him we're now on an official spirit animal kick.
It was a great night overall!
Unicorn Party
Well technically, it wasn't a Unicorn party, just a regular early birthday celebration. But Peter went all out with Princess Sophia plates and made me wear a Birthday Girl badge and got party hats that were too small and had to be donned very creatively. So there was only one option left: embrace my inner Princess Unicorn.
![]() |
| Caught in the act by Madamoiselle Paparazzi. |
Peter stayed up late baking a dairy-free cake for me and got up early to decorate it total cake-boss style:
And he also cooked up my requested dinner, stopping home between trips to his clinics to sear a roast and put it in the crock pot so I didn't have to:
Other Cool Stuff
I got spoiled with some nice gifts (including the rental car that I'm driving during my trip so I didn't have to rely on carpooling with classmates who were complete strangers last week). But the best gifts of all are those I often take for granted and I'm only able to appreciate from a distance this year: my parents who raised me and gave me life, and my incredible husband and kiddos who love me and fill my life with incredible purpose every day. And who I'm missing very dearly, especially today. My kids left THE most adorable voicemail singing Happy Birthday to me, which I'm going to save for absolutely ever.
And those strangers I was so worried about last week have actually turned out to be pretty amazing--I was so touched by my class, who figured out that it was my birthday (AG/human resources crowd notice dates like nobody's business!) and this morning they ambushed me with some cupcakes and public embarrassment.
And after class I had such a fun night going to dinner with some of the girls, just relaxing and enjoying life.
I'm also feeling overwhelmingly loved and lucky tonight as I see all the love sent by way of messages and media. You all make me feel SO so special!
I was so ready to be bummed on this day that wasn't exactly what I would choose, but instead I've been reminded constantly throughout the day in ways I cannot ignore that I really am blessed to be right where I am. It's helped me remember that life is really about taking time to appreciate and enjoy the good moments, however small they may be and wherever they may happen.
So here's to another year of moments, and a lot of thanksgiving for all the moments leading up to today that have made this life of mine what it is!









Happy Belated my dear friend. I am SO excited to see you!
ReplyDelete