Wednesday, August 26, 2015

First Days {2015}

Time for the yearly There's-No-way-l'm-This-Old punch in the gut post! Two weeks ago Marie and Erik started school--second grade and kindergarten respectively. Today, baby boy Ethan started Pre-K. (He'll do 3 years of preschool since his birthday is after the fall cutoff--all the better, I think).

We started off the year a few weeks ago with the Kidergarten Teddy Bear Tea, which is a chance for the Kindergartneners to come to school and see their classroom and meet their teacher/classmates and read a book while the moms [and Dads, let's be real] sit huddled in the gym and practice getting all their tears out. And get briefed about the business of being a Kindergarten parent. I still had a few tears left in reserve, but Ookie Man and his Ookie Bear rocked it at the Tea:


On their first real day, all three kids were excited (and the oldest two slightly nervous). At pickup all reported a fab first day, and Marie specifically gave me two thumbs up, saying her teacher was "hilarious." She got assigned to be the class librarian during the first week--big surprise there. Made mama proud.






I thought Kindergarten would be easier this time around, having previously survived the emotional turmoil. Nope. Not by a long shot. We lined up and walked through a gauntlet of clapping teachers and sixth-graders for the annual "Clap-In," which was definitely a little overwhelming. Erik's nerves mostly dissipated once we got into the classroom and all parents followed hiding behind tissues. It's a tradition for the teacher to read the story "The Kissing Hand" as a way to help the kids feel comfortable with their parents leaving, and as an exercise in torture for said parents who are trying desperately to keep it together until they can jet outta there.

I'm fine, Mom. Get outta here already.

Thankfully Ethan and I had gymnastics to get to, which proved a somewhat suitable distraction for me.

The Elementary school also kicks off the first day with another tradition, the Annual Ice Cream Social, where Marie was determined to win the hoola hooping contest this year (another way the ape doesn't fall far...). She got second, which I was delighted about but she thought was a travesty. The competitive streak lives on...


On Ethan's first day today, his enthusiasm was virtually uncontainable (which happens to be his norm). He was up and dressed and skipping around long before I rolled out of bed. 

He's so happy he can't even stand it.
The kids had some free time after getting ready quickly this morning (I'm gonna take a moment to acknowledge that this has never before happened and may never happen again, thus it was extremely momentous). I found big sister reading to him, and found out that she had also beat us to making her little brother's lunch. In which she left a note. [Insert ten thousand melting heart emojis].





I'm fine too, Mom. Get outta here already.
Our little Ham capped off the school day with a puppet show starring the mouse puppet he made:


We're blessed to have some fantastic teachers and administrators this year, especially at the elementary school, who have already gone to great lengths this summer to meet with us and help our kids feel more comfortable and be set up for success. Navigating school stuff as a parent is already overwhelming enough without any additional "stuff," so we feel really lucky to have such a great team supporting us and working with us on all our specific needs and focus areas. We've already seen some really positive strides, and I'm definitely as hopeful and happy about the 2015-16 school year as the kids seem to be. Here we go!

See that? That's what three whole hours of freedom looks like!
(To go do work).




2 comments:

  1. Awwww!!! Sounds like a good start. Marie is so amazing. Cherish that. <3 I have yet to get to telling about our first days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie's note - incredible. You're doing something right there, Mama.

    Also, Finn is doing three years (this will be his second) of preschool as well. I'd much rather him be 18/19 at high school graduation versus 17/18.

    ReplyDelete