Once upon a time, a little lass was born to a family of two wise elders and two not-yet-so-wise youths. Suddenly, seemingly next day, the not-so-little-lass was set to graduate from high school. The family of the two somewhat-wiser-by-then-youths and the ever-wise elders gathered from throughout the land to celebrate the great occasion. And there was much rejoicing:
And the best part was that one speech about The Goonies.
(True story).
Except the best part was really the part where we all got to be together. There was a graduation party in the lass's honor, with all sorts of lovely food and people, followed by the grand ceremony that the rain thankfully broke for just in time.
There were a few bizarre déjà vû moments for me being back in the stadium, flooding my brain with memories I'd all but forgotten. But that was only a minor detail to the day that was hers through and through--and it was such a treasure to be there in person.
At the risk of sounding extra sappy, it was even cooler to just observe my baby sis totally in her element--seeing all the relationships she's formed and the impact she's made on others and all the many incredible things she's accomplished. [These are things I've sadly missed out on a bit with a 13-year age gap and a bunch of states in between].
And out of the three of us youths (or, as my dad would say, "yoots," I'd say this grad definitely has the best idea of what her future endeavors might be--the immediate future being an esteemed 5-year Masters Program for Occupational Therapy through Misericordia University. (Oh, and she'll swing a few clubs there while she's at it since she signed for the women's golf team this past spring)!
I'm equally impressed by the fact that she already has an idea of what she's getting into, having completed an internship at her high school where she worked alongside professional OTs, helping both high-needs children and the elderly at a local senior center for the past year. Pretty darn awesome, and it certainly shows more determination and maturity than I ever displayed at her age.
![]() |
| Then and now. I still don't think she's taller... |
[I also attempted to find pictures of the two of us at my high school graduation, but all I could find were pictures of me with my parents and all my bffs/bf who I haven't seen in years. Some big sister. Thankfully I apparently made up for it a few days later--an entire album showed me wrangling a houseful of kindergarteners for a certain 5-year-old's birthday party.]
Suffice it to say, I'm extremely proud of you, sis, and so excited for all this new chapter entails. Congrats, Grad, you're gonna be great--namely because you already are!






No comments:
Post a Comment